Knowledgeable Westchester County Lawyer Aids Divorcing Spouses
White Plains law firm handles all aspects of marriage dissolution
While there may be no way to prepare for many of the life-altering effects of a divorce, you can protect your future and your family by choosing to work with an accomplished lawyer at the Law Office of Gordon A. Burrows, in White Plains. Gordon A. Burrows has focused almost exclusively on divorce and family law since 1986. When you select Gordon A. Burrows as your attorney, you will have a dedicated, experienced professional on your side. Mr. Burrows is highly qualified and serves his clients by also being fair and reasonable.
Skilled attorney works to resolve New York divorces
We take the time to make sure you understand all of your legal options so we can decide on the best course of action. At the Law Office of Gordon A. Burrows, we will guide you through such important issues as:
- Grounds for divorce — If you and your partner are able to reach agreements about all financial and parenting arrangements, we can help you file for an uncontested divorce. Otherwise, New York requires you to provide legal grounds for the divorce, such as an irretrievable breakdown of the relationship, abandonment, adultery, prison confinement or domestic violence.
- Division of marital property and debts — Courts attempt to distribute marital property and debt in a fair and equitable, though not necessarily equal manner. Various factors influence this decision, including the duration of the marriage, the health of each spouse and each spouse’s likely financial standing. By conducting an investigation of the financial assets and responsibilities, we can determine what is rightfully yours.
- Spousal support — Judges set the rules for whether one spouse is required to pay the other alimony, which is called “maintenance” in New York and temporary support (pendente lite relief) during the divorce process. We determine fair calculations for you and your family and fight for their enforcement when necessary.
When a settlement is not an option and court is required, Gordon A. Burrows has the trial experience necessary to argue for a favorable resolution to your case.
We protect parental custody rights and children’s interests
We understand that the well-being of your child is of the utmost importance, and that the decisions made during the divorce process play major roles in setting the course for your child’s future. We can help you with:
- Child custody and visitation rights — Child custody arrangements include decisions about physical and legal custody. While physical custody dictates whom your child lives with and who is responsible for supervision, legal custody determines who has the right to make decisions about your child’s education, religion, healthcare and other aspects of daily life.
- Child support — Child support affects the life you are able to provide for your child. New York law relies on a formula that considers each parent’s income and assets to determine the amount.
In certain custody actions, parents are either unable or unwilling to make decisions for their children, so the court appoints a lawyer to act as guardian ad litem, to represent the child’s interests independent of the parents. We provide such services in custody actions where needed.
Contact our Westchester County law firm today for a divorce consultation
For help with divorce and related issues, call the Law Office of Gordon A. Burrows, in White Plains, at 914-683-3520 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.